SLIDESHOW EXPLANATION

THE PHOTOS SCROLLING BY IN THE SLIDESHOW ON THE LEFT ARE ORIGINAL AND CAN BE VIEWED OR PURCHASED AT WWW.WIZARDPIXPHOTOGRAPHY.COM

Sunday, January 5, 2014

NUNS, TELEMARKETERS, AND CALLS FROM THE POPESTER...


         
 
 
          The phone is ringing in the convent's office, and one of the five resident nuns goes to check the caller ID. 

          "Who's calling?" comes the voice of Mother Superior from the other room.

          "Mmmm... lessee... It says 'Holy See' or something.  I'll let the machine pick it up."

          And with that, a personal New Year's greeting from the Pope went unanswered.  Later, the nuns, three of whom hail from Pope Francis' home country of Argentina, listened to these words on their recorder:

"What are the nuns doing that they can't answer?" the Pope said jokingly. "I am Pope Francis, I wish to greet you in this end of the year, I will see if I can call you later. May God bless you!"


            There's nothing in the report to indicate that the nuns are more vigilant about answering their calls, but I suspect they're paying closer attention to the phone today.

            Which reminds me... since when do telemarketers have our cell phone numbers?  We've been getting pestered on both our landline AND cells for the past couple of months.

             But now I'm answering all the calls, regardless of the caller ID notification.

             After all, if Francis calls to ask why I'm a Recovering Catholic instead of a regular visitor to Mass, I want a chance to explain a few of my problems with his organization.  Hope he's got a good long distance plan, 'cause it might take me a while to sum up.

             In the meantime, you have to admit, this guy's a hoot compared to the snoozing cardboard cutout Papal Dolls we're accustomed to seeing in the Vatican.  He's probably be fun to have a beer with...

           

 

5 comments:

Mister Ornery said...

I give the new Pope credit for attempting to inject humanity, even humility, into a hidebound organization. I'm not sure he's a beer man but I bet he'd be interesting to sit down with for a glass of wine.

squatlo said...

I'd say trying to make Christians out of most "Christians" would be a full time job. More power to him!

Kulkuri said...

He's trying to put "Christ" back in christians!! I wish him luck, it'll be an uphill battle, kinda like the guy pushing the rock up the hill forever!!

bj said...

S'hard for me to blame the Nones; I mean ... 2000 years withOUT a call? I might not be watchin' forn it. Sorta like my old goodbye line stolen from Possum ... 'When the phone don't ring ... you'll know it's me' so be lookin' .....

Ol'Buzzard said...

A definite improvement- but he still represents a restrictive and controlling cult that has hardly moved its thinking beyond the middle-eastern deserts of 2000 years ago.
the Ol'Buzzard