SLIDESHOW EXPLANATION

THE PHOTOS SCROLLING BY IN THE SLIDESHOW ON THE LEFT ARE ORIGINAL AND CAN BE VIEWED OR PURCHASED AT WWW.WIZARDPIXPHOTOGRAPHY.COM

Sunday, December 29, 2013

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT I'VE PHOTOGRAPHED HERE? (mystery critter from the wilds of Alabama...)


       While we were staying at my sister's lake house in Alabama, I took a walk with the camera one morning (Christmas morning, as a matter of fact) and noticed an animal moving around the side of the road about 75 yards away.  The profile indicated it was a red fox, and for several minutes I took shots of it moving up and down a fence line beside the country road I was on.

        Then, it looked my way, and suddenly began to trot my direction.  There was something odd about its gait, and the closer it got the stranger it looked.  Normally, a wild animal will retreat from human contact, but this animal seemed determined to get as close as possible.  When it had gotten to within fifteen feet (and my 400mm lens would no longer focus due to proximity) I stepped back from the tripod and brought my arms down to my side.  Apparently, the animal's eyesight was nearly gone, and the movement cleared up its curiosity.  It stopped, took a good whiff of my Right Guard or whatever gave me away, and then dashed off through the woods.

        A normal fox is usually fairly clean, but this thing was filthy with mud and matted fur.  It kept its eyes nearly shut the entire time it was approaching, barely a squint.  At first I thought the animal might be rabid, due to its lack of fear and aggressive behavior.  But now I believe it might just be an old, ill fox that's nearly blind.

        Here are a few shots for your consideration...






 

3 comments:

Nan said...

Definitely does not look healthy. It could have had rabies. The disease does affect vision and infected animals don't always display what we think of as the classic symptoms: drooling, foaming at the mouth, and being aggressive. Any abnormal behavior in an animal is a bad sign, and that fox definitely exhibited abnormal behavior.

Don said...

Squat. Based upon what Nan siad, I think it must be the Chair of the Alabalama Republican Party. Good think you kept your distance.

Fuck Walmart!!!

bj said...

Had you only .... ASKED him, he would have said ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofNR_WkoCE

FUCKaBUNCHA Walmart!!!11!